We’ve all seen the road sign between Hollister and San Juan Bautista, “Lucy Brown Lane”, but who was Lucy?

In October of 1855, she and her brother joined forces with the Flint Bixby family and purchased Rancho San Justo, a 34,620-acre parcel of land, for $25,000.

Lucy’s brother, Colonel William Welles Hollister, received all the accolades; the town of Hollister was named after the Colonel in 1868, but it was Lucy, the widow of a wealthy businessman, who provided the money for her brother to make the original purchase.

Courtesy: San Benito County Historical Society